- U.S. Department of Education is the central page for all projects, publications and other information available through the Department of Education. This page includes links to numerous other education sites.
- National Center for Education Statistics (NCES) - The primary federal agency for gathering data on education. This website contains an online version of the Digest of Education Statistics as well as information on the National Assessment of Educational Progress (NAEP) also known as the Nation's Report Card.
- Regional Education Laboratories is a map of links to all ten laboratories supported by the U.S. Education Department to provide technical assistance to educators: NCREL, McREL, AEL, WestEd, SEDL, PREL, SERVE, NWREL, LSS, and LAB
- The Federal Interagency Council on Statistical Policy maintains this site to provide easy access to the full range of statistics and information produced by 70 agencies in the United States Federal Government for public use
- EdWeek includes current and past articles from EdWeek. It has an efficient archival search that quickly finds articles on topics of your choice
- White House Social Statistics Briefing Room offers highlights of current Federal social statistics in the areas of demographics, education, health and crime
- Trends in the Well-Being of America's Children and Youth is a comprehensive collection of valuable and current data from across several federal agencies, available in Adobe Acrobat format from the U.S. Department of Health and Human Services
- Youth Indicators from the National Center for Education Statistics at the U.S. Department of Education is a statistical compilation of data on family structure, jobs, education, and other elements. Where possible, long-term trend data are provided
- Children Now in California offers valuable links to other resources on comprehensive range of children's issues
- Federal Health Information Centers and Clearinghouses lists several dozen resource centers operated by the Federal government
- Justice Information Center is a collection of clearinghouses including that of the Office of Juvenile Justice and Delinquency Prevention, the Bureau of Justice Statistics, and the Office of National Drug Control Policy
- National Clearinghouse for Educational Facilties Information resources for people who plan, design, build, and maintain K-12 schools. NCEF is part of the U.S. Department of Education's Educational Resources Information Center (ERIC)
- Fedstats: One Stop Shopping for Federal Statistics - A web site with links to all other federal agencies that collect and provide statistics. Excellent for background information on education.
- StatLib Index - A large library of useful statistics and software programs. Not education based but with plenty of applications.
- The Learning First Alliance is a coalition of major national education associations who cooperate strategically to ensure high expectations for all students, positive and supportive learning environments and parent and community engagement in building high-quality schools
- The National Partnership for Excellence and Accountability in Teaching (NPEAT) is a coalition of more than a dozen national education groups that seeks to place the improvement of teaching at the center of efforts to improve schools. To this end, NPEAT addresses two central issues: (1) the absence of agreement about effective strategies for improving teaching among those who significantly influence the capabilities and motivation of teachers and the conditions of teaching, and (2) the discontinuity, inconsistency and misalignment of policies and practices that influence the quality of teaching across the career continuum of teachers
- Education Policy Analysis Archives is an on-line, peer-reviewed journal at Arizona State University that contains articles of interest to policymakers
- The Electronic Policy Network contains thoughtful analysis of policy questions, mostly from a progressive point of view. Their home page has links to many member organizations and affiliates of The American Prospect
- Policy.com contains thoughtful analysis of policy questions, mostly from a conservative point of view
- The Michigan Resource Center for Charter Schools at Central Michigan University maintains a comprehensive resource center, including state-by-state information on charter schools initiatives and legislation
OTHER EDUCATION POLICYMAKER ASSOCIATIONS
STANDARDS, ACCOUNTABILITY, AND TESTING
- NYS School Report Cards - County List - The site to get information on student performance in New York schools.
- Welcome to the ETS Net - The Educational Testing Service is a private organization that administers a variety of tests including SAT, LSAT, MedCat, GRE. A wealth of information in terms of reports and statistics.
- The College Board - The College Board is the organization that oversees the SAT examination process. State by state comparisons of SAT scores and a variety of other data are located here.
- U.S. Department of Education Technology Initiatives contains much useful grant and policy information
- The National Center for Technology Planning offers planning guides, articles of interest, state-by-state technology plans, and links to other resource centers
- The Milken Exchange on Education Technology works on a national agenda of putting technology in schools, connecting policy to learning, research to practice, and public investment to student learning
- North Central Regional Education Laboratory (NCREL) has a technology section within its Pathways to School Improvement program that contains a planning guide, supporting information, and links to valuable resources
- T.H.E. Journal offers news on the world of computers and related technologies, focusing on applications that improve teaching and learning for all ages. The site also includes information on funding education technology and links to vendors
- EdWeb: Exploring Education Technology and School Reform, a personal project of an ed. tech. guru at the Corporation for Public Broadcasting, contains articles on key policy issues as well as links to other resources
- EdLinc is a coalition of education and library associations (including NASBE) formed to present a united front on the implementation of the "universal service" provisions of the 1996 Telecommunications ACT
- MarcoPolo offers educators a no-cost, high quality, standards-based Internet content for the K-12 classrooms
- Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, Division of Adolescent and School Health, (CDC/DASH) is the key agency with the U.S. Department of Health and Human Services providing support and technical assistance to the education community in its efforts to improve the health needs of the nation's students.
- National Association of State Boards of Education's Save and Heathly Schools Project provides a description of NASBE's programs aimed at helping policymakers and practitioners create safe, healthy and nurturing school environments for all of the nation's children and youth.
- Healthfinder is a gateway consumer health and human services information web site from the United States government which leads to selected online publications, clearinghouses, databases, web sites, and support and self-help groups, as well as the government agencies and not-for-profit organizations that produce reliable information for the public
- Pediatric Points of Interest, maintained by the Department of Pediatrics at Johns Hopkins University and Marshall University School of Medicine, is well organized and easy to use guide of more than 2,600 Internet links for health professionals, parents and kids
- American Cancer Society is sponsoring a major initiative called Health for Success, aimed at strengthening comprehensive school health education as "the best and most economic way to fight [cancer]."
- National Center for Health Statistics (NCHS) is the Nation's principal health statistics agency, offering accurate, relevant, and timely data
- CDC National AIDS Clearinghouse offers HIV/AIDS resources and information about education and prevention, published materials, research findings, and news about AIDS-related trends
- PREVLINE of the National Clearinghouse for Alcohol and Drug Information offers electronic access to searchable databases and substance abuse prevention materials that pertain to alcohol, tobacco, and drugs
STATE EDUCATION AGENCIES
Home - About - Reports - Links - Contact